Second Language Literacy, Lecture: Dr. Neil Anderson; Discussants: Dr. Neil Anderson and Dr. Vicky Zygouris-Coe
Additional Resources and References
Academic Literacy Instruction for Adolescents: A Guidance Document [4-12]. Center on Instruction. Retrieved February 20, 2009 from http://www.centeroninstruction.org/files/Academic%20Literacy.pdf
- Afflerbach, P., Pearson, P.D., & Paris, S.G. (2008). Clarifying differences between reading skills and reading strategies. The Reading Teacher, 61(5), 364-373.
- Anderson, N. J. (1999). Improving reading speed: Activities for the classroom. Forum, 37(2). Retrieved February 17, 2009 from http://eca.state.gov/forum/vols/vol37/no2/p2.htm
- Developing Literacy in Second-Language Learners: Report of the National Literacy Panel on Language-Minority Children and Youth (Executive Summary). [K-12] Retrieved February 24, 2009 from http://www.cal.org/projects/archive/nlpreports/Executive_Summary.pdf
- Donin, J.,& Silva, M. (1993). The relationship between first- and second- language comprehension of occupation-specific texts. Language Learning, 43, 373-401.
- Drucker, M.J. (2003). What reading teachers should know about ESL learners. Reading Teacher, 57(1), 22-29.
Effective Literacy and English Language Instruction for English Learners in the Elementary Grades [K-3]. Center on Instruction. Retrieved February 24, 2009 from http://www.centeroninstruction.org/files/Effective%20Literacy%20and%20EL%20Instruction%20for%20EL%20in%20the%20Elem.%20Gr.pdf
- Gersten, R., Baker, S.K., Shanahan, T., Linan-Thompson, S., Collins, P., & Scarcella, R. (2007). Effective Literacy and English Language Instruction for English Learners in the Elementary Grades: A Practice Guide (NCEE 2007-4011). Washington, DC: National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance, Institute of Education Sci¬ences, U.S. Department of Education. Retrieved February 24, 2009 from http://ies.ed.gov/ncee
- Lesaux, N.K., Rupp, A.A., & Siegel, L.S. (Growth in Reading Skills of Children From Diverse Linguistic Backgrounds: Findings From a 5-Year Longitudinal Study. Journal of Educational Psychology, 99(4), 821-834.
- Peregoy, S.F., Boyle, O.F. (2000). English Learners Reading English: What We Know, What We Need to Know. Theory into Practice, 39( 4), 237-247.
- Perez, S.A. (2000). Teaching second language learners in the regular classroom. Reading Improvement, 37(1), 45-48.
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. (2000). Report of the National Reading Panel. Teaching children to read: An evidence-based assessment of the scientific research literature on reading and its implications for reading instruction (NIH Publication No. 00-4769). Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office. Retrieved February 17, 2009 from http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/nrp/upload/smallbook_pdf.pdf
- Roberts, C.A. (1994). Transferring literacy skills from L1 to L2: From theory to practice. The Journal of Educational Issues of Language Minority Students, 13, 209-221. Retrieved February 17, 2009 from http://www.ncela.gwu.edu/pubs/jeilms/vol13/transf13.htm
- Short, D. J., & Fitzsimmons, S. (2007). Double the work - Challenges and solutions to acquiring language and academic literacy for adolescent English language learners: A report to the Carnegie Corporation of New York. Washington, DC: Alliance for Excellent Education. Retrieved February 17, 2009 from http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Double+the+work
- Wurr, A.J. (2003) Reading in a second language: A reading problem or a language problem? Journal of College Reading and Learning, 33(2), p. 157-69.
- Yamashita, J. (2002). Mutual compensation between L1 reading ability and L2 language proficiency in L2 reading comprehension. Journal of Research in Reading, 25(1), 81-95.
- Anderson, N. (1999). Exploring second language reading: Issues and strategies. Boston, MA: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- August, D., & Shanahan, T. (2008). Developing reading and writing in second-language learners. Lessons from the report of the National Literacy Panel on Language-Minority Children and Youth. New York: Routledge.
- Grabe, W. (2009). Reading in a second language. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Grabe, W., & Stoller, F. L. (2002). Teaching and researching reading. New York: Longman.
- Han, Z., & Anderson, N.J. (Eds.). (2009). Second language research and instruction: Crossing the boundaries. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Hedgcock, J.S., & Ferris, D.R. (2009). Teaching Readers of English. New York: Routledge.
- Hudson, T. (2007). Teaching second language reading. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Peregoy, S.F. & Boyle, O.F. (2009). Reading, writing and learning in ESL: A Resource Book for K-12 Teachers. 5th Edition. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.